Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Workboxes After Six Months

Well, workboxes were great for about 2 months. But then it really started to stick in my craw. I felt I was setting up the contents for all of my children's studies, and it was taking me hours to do so. I've gravitated back to the TJed principle of 'structuring time not content'.
The kids had started doing the minimum work possible, and I had started getting frustrated at them, because I couldn't be on them all day to finish their work, set up their work, grade their work, and still do my own work! The love for learning was really starting to fade.
So over the holiday season, I let it all go. I just started back on structuring their time. I've already seen a difference. It is harder to stay organized and clean, but I think that we will get that down with a little more time.
For now, no more workboxes. If the kids want to set up their own, all the power to them! I'll even help them do so in a weekly mentor meeting. But for now, workboxes are going the way of the do-do.

1 comment:

Rachelle O said...

I was wondering what on earth you were talking about with workboxes and all their assignments. Sounded unfun!